NexGard Combo for Cats is an innovative and comprehensive solution designed to protect your feline companion against fleas, ticks, heartworm disease and intestinal worms. It combines the trusted efficacy of two powerful active ingredients to provide broad-spectrum parasite protection in a convenient monthly treatment.
NexGard Combo is typically recommended for use in cats that are at least 8 weeks of age or older. However, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian for specific age recommendations based on your cat’s individual needs and health status. They can provide guidance on when it is appropriate to start using NexGard Combo for your cat.
Key Benefits of NexGard for Cats
- Flea Prevention: It eliminates fleas before they have the chance to lay eggs, preventing infestations and providing effective control.
- Tick Control: NexGard Combo is effective against common tick species found in the U.S., including black-legged ticks and lone star ticks, for a month.
- Heartworm Disease Prevention: When used monthly, NexGard Combo has been proven 100% effective in preventing heartworm disease in cats. It is recommended to continue treatment for at least three months after the last exposure to mosquitoes.
- Tapeworm Control: NexGard Combo effectively targets the common tapeworm species, specifically Dipylidium caninum, ensuring comprehensive protection against this parasite.
- Roundworm and Hookworm Treatment: It has been clinically proven to treat infections caused by roundworms and hookworms in cats, helping to eliminate these internal parasites.
- Safe for Cats and Kittens: NexGard Combo is safe for use in cats and kittens as young as 8 weeks old and weighing at least 1.8 lbs.
Administering NexGard Combo for Cats
NexGard Combo topical solution is administered at a minimum dosage of 0.055 mL per pound (0.12 mL per kilogram), providing a minimum dose of 0.65 mg per pound (1.44 mg per kilogram) of esafoxolaner, 0.22 mg per pound (0.48 mg per kilogram) of eprinomectin, and 4.53 mg per pound (9.98 mg per kilogram) of praziquantel.
To apply NexGard Combo topical solution, follow these steps:
- Use scissors to cut the blister along the dotted line, then remove the lid.
- Take the applicator out of the package and hold it upright.
- Gently pull back the plunger slightly, then twist and remove the cap.
- Part the hair on the midline of the neck, between the base of the skull and the shoulder blades, until the skin is visible.
- Place the tip of the applicator directly on the skin and apply the entire contents of the applicator onto the skin in one spot.
- Ensure that the product is applied to dry skin in an area where the cat cannot lick it off.
- If the cat’s weight requires a second application, apply the contents in the same manner as described above, in the same location.
- After use, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
Remember to strictly follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian or the product packaging for the appropriate application of NexGard Combo topical solution on your cat.
|Cat Weight (kg)||Volume of Unit Dose (mL)||Esafoxolaner (mg)||Eprinomectin (mg)||Praziquantel (mg)|
|2.5 – 7.4||0.9||10.8||3.60||74.7|
|> 7.4||Appropriate combination of applicators|
The dosing information for cats weighing above 7.4 kg is still not provided. It is recommended to use an appropriate combination of applicators for cats in this weight range. Please consult with your veterinarian for the specific dosing instructions for cats above 7.4 kg using Nexgard Combo.
Caution should be exercised to prevent oral administration of NexGard COMBO topical solution. In the event of accidental oral ingestion or licking/grooming of the application site, cats may experience excessive salivation. Esafoxolaner, an ingredient present in NexGard COMBO, belongs to the isoxazoline class, which has been associated with neurological adverse reactions such as tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Seizures have been reported in cats that have received isoxazoline class drugs, even if they had no prior history of seizures. Therefore, it is advisable to use NexGard COMBO with care in cats with a history of seizures or neurological disorders.
The safety of NexGard COMBO has not been tested in breeding, pregnant, or lactating cats, nor in kittens under 8 weeks of age or weighing less than 1.8 lbs. The most commonly reported adverse reactions include vomiting, reactions at the application site, and loss of appetite. For more information, click here for full prescribing information.
Important Warnings for NexGard for Cats
- Keep out of reach of children.
- When handling the product, use disposable latex or nitrile gloves to prevent unintended topical exposure.
- After application, wash hands thoroughly.
- Avoid contact with the treated area and do not handle the treated cat until the application site is no longer visible.
- It is advised not to let recently treated cats sleep with their owners until the treatment area is no longer noticeable.
- NexGard Combo can potentially cause eye irritation. If accidental eye exposure occurs, flush the eyes with water thoroughly.
- In the case of accidental ingestion or if skin/eye irritation develops, seek immediate medical attention.
Frequently asked questions about NexGard for Cats
Can NexGard be used for cats?
Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health has expanded its NexGard product line by introducing NexGard COMBO spot-on for cats. This new product is the first and only broad-spectrum parasiticide designed to treat cats for fleas, ticks, roundworms, hookworms, heartworm disease and tapeworms.
What size is the NexGard Combo for cats?
NexGard COMBO is available in two different sizes based on the weight of the cats. It is packaged as a single dose in 0.3 mL applicators, recommended for cats weighing 1.8-5.5 lb (0.8-2.5 kg), and 0.9 mL applicators, recommended for cats weighing 5.6-16.5 lb (2.6-7.5 kg). Each size applicator is conveniently available in cartons containing 1, 3, or 6 applications, providing options for different needs and preferences.
How often can you use NexGard Combo on cats?
To administer NexGard COMBO, apply the contents of the applicator directly onto the cat’s skin in a single spot located at the middle of the neck. This ensures that the cat cannot lick off the product. It is important to note that repeated treatments should be limited to specific cases and used with caution. There should be a minimum treatment interval of 4 weeks between each application to ensure the effectiveness and safety of the product.
Is NexGard Combo safe for cats?
Nexgard for Cats is intended for use in confirmed cases of mixed infections or when cats are at a significant risk of contracting mixed infections involving external parasites and roundworms. It is specifically designed to address the treatment needs of cats requiring simultaneous treatment against tapeworms. Therefore, Nexgard Combo should only be used in these situations, ensuring that it is administered appropriately to address the specific conditions and risks faced by the cats.
Is NexGard Combo safe for kittens?
The safety of the veterinary medicinal product has not been evaluated in kittens under 8 weeks of age. Therefore, it is important to note that the product is not intended for use in cats weighing less than 0.8 kg and/or those that are under 8 weeks of age.
What is Nexgard Combo for cats price ?
Nexgard Combo’s price is about $23 per dose. Prices may vary between different places, but you will often receive a discount when you purchase 3 doses or more.